Tuesday, January 22, 2013

I'm Baaaack!

Let's try this again!

So, I realize that I've been off my blog for about a year.  Let me just say, that writing has never been my outlet and I have a tendency to start and stop many things.  But, since I'm back in Vietnam for another year or so, and Facebook is entirely too difficult to get on, I thought I'd get back into blogging.

So many things to get caught up on. 
Hmmm...well first, I survived yet another year in Vietnam.  I found myself hiding in my apartment a lot.  My excuse was saving money for our relocation to Japan.  We actually got jobs in Japan with Westgate.  But then as the end of the year approached and we (me and Jon) calculated our money, we realized that we didn't need to go straight back to work.  In fact, we really really needed a long break and decided instead to take our savings and go backpacking around Europe. 

So after a month in England, and Jon going to the Olympics, we started off to Italy!  Right...now you're going to want all kinds of picture and details!  Can we do that on another post?  Ok!  Thanks!


Fast forward to the end of our European vacation around the 3rd week of October 2012 and we thought, well...we're right at the holidays!  So we decided to head back to Hartlepool, England and stay with his mom through the holidays.  Now, we weren't total slackers.  Well at least Jon wasn't!  He could sign on and get a little money each week, plus, he needed to clean out his stuff.  We sold his and other people's things online (Ebay and such) and that basically kept us supported during that time.  In fact, it was enough to buy me a ring! 

Yes, folks, Jon finally popped the question and we're engaged!  Yay!  How wonderful!  Let's celebrate!  And then....

Dear God!  We have to do visas, and plan a wedding, and think of jobs, and pick a freaking country!  See, I'm from American, Jon's from England.  We both have awesome loving families and friends.  We both come from beautiful places, we both love our countries.

We after many, many, many, many discussions, we've finally agreed on America.  At least for the first few years.  I've promised Jon that after we have kids and get established in careers and if he can find a well paying job in England, we can someday move there.  But America comes first!

So that's the plan.  And, that's why we're back in Vietnam.  Wait, what???

Well, just exactly how are we to afford all this stuff without jobs?  As of Jan 8th, the day we left England, we hadn't worked in over 5 months.  For reals people!  How did we do that?  Um..one word:  Jon

Ya, he's WAAYYYYYY better at managing money than I am.  He handles the budget and I handle the cooking.  I know you may be saying, "Like, OMG Linda, that's so 1950's".  Whatever! If you know me in real life, you know what a strong modern woman I am, but also how appalling I am at saving money, so just chill!

Ok, so we cashed in our plan B and just went ahead back to our jobs and life in Vietnam.  We still have plenty of friends here and know how it all works.  Dealing with the visas will be expensive and stressful enough, without having to figure it all out in another country.  In case anyone was wondering, we couldn't simply stay in England.  First that damp, chilly weather was trying to kill me.  I was sick nearly the whole time.  But, I only had 2 weeks left on my visa and couldn't work there.  Jon, likewise, couldn't just hop a plane to America with me.  Which is why we're the "neutral" country of Vietnam while we do the following:

1.  Process Jon's Fiance visa
2.  Save as much money as possible
3.  Get wedding fit (I want to lose 50 pounds and Jon wants like 25)
4.  Plan the wedding
5.  Enjoy our last hurrah in Asia, as we really will not be living here after this year.  I mean it, seriously, this is it.  Really people!

More to come as I begin the long long road to getting wedding ready, and all that it entails.  I hope this blog will help keep you all up on my life and progress, as well as keep me motivated and sane. 



1 comment:

I'd love for you to leave a comment!