Monday, January 10, 2011

Danish cookies

You know those Danish butter cookies in the blue tin?  You get them for random events and they usually sit there a little pale against all the razzle dazzle of other cookies, like Milanos, or Pepperidge Farm, Oreos, etc.  But then one day you're starving and roaming around trying to find something with some crunch and sugar.  Ah ha!  I have those Danish butter cookies!

This was exactly the scenario at work on Saturday.  It was the last break of the day.  We'd all poured our heart and soul (ya) into 7 hours of teaching (not including the planning time which makes it 11 hours into our day), one more to go.  Just needed something, a little bit of carbs.  Then I remembered the new tin of cookies, left over from last week's end of course party for my little Jumpies (4-6 year olds).

I grab our flat bamboo stick that's lying around after Halloween.  I think it was someone's sword.  I digress!  I use it to whack down from the top shelf above the lockers, the bag of goodies.

Bag inventory: hard candies and a tin of danish butter cookies.  Cookies!  My eyes are glazed over from the empty tank in my tummy.  Everyone in the room has the same weary look, and they turn their heads towards me like a pack of lions, dazed during a drought.

I open the tin, and get the whiff of perfection by way of butter, sugar, and flour.  The pack dives in to feed!

Do you remember the taste?  Butter, rich and filling on your tongue.  Sugar, grainy and bold.  Simple...perfect.  I eat 10 cookies in 30 seconds flat.  Richard, tries to have just one, and then in his perfect politeness, lets me know that he must be bold, and be greedy, just this once.  I have found his weakness today.

The groups, gets their fill, not caring for a second about the calories.  This is fuel!  and comfort, and greedy pleasure, so don't judge me now!

I have taken the tin home, I'm writing this as I smell my coffee brewing.  Time for some sweet pleasures in life.

1 comment:

  1. How funny I had recieved a tin of those as a gift this Christmas. Kind of lame till i found the gift card taped to the bottom. I was just wondering what to do with them till i figured i would send them to school with Rachel. Kindergardeners with eat anything with sugar on top. Haha. P.S. I should send you an American care package. Hmmm I do have your address. What do you miss most. (Amanda)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to leave a comment!