Friday, January 14, 2011

Should I stay or should I go?

With this job people come and go, it's the norm.  But when am I going to go?  I'm trying to figure out my next move.  Do I start all over again in another country, a new language, and figure out where all the comforts from home are again?  It's part of the adventure, right?

Or..do I stay for another year in Vietnam? 

The Pros:

I have my boyfriend, friends, shops, I know some of the language, the job, not to mention the low cost of living.  Massages every week, eating out when ever I want.  I can drive easily, I have a residency card and there are still places over here that I want to see.  Will I ever come back to this region if I leave?

Not to mention, that I would get another signing bonus, and a pay raise, and honestly it's like the easiest job ever.  I have plenty of time to do anything I want.  Great school, great kids, great co-workers.

The cons:  Ugh the pollution.  It's so hard to walk places, and people are always staring, or wanting to sell you something, or practice English, or the sidewalks are broken and you could potentially break your ankle at any point.  Getting called fat or gestured to for how fat they think I am. I'm sick of the smallest people in the world calling me fat.  Umm...how about you all are tiny!  Tiny tiny tiny effing people!  

The shopping.  I can barely ever find something that is in my size and is halfway decent quality.  I can get stuff made, but unless I have something cute for them to copy, the designs are lame.  Plus, it costs about the same as something back home, without all the actual fun of shopping!  I want to find things, not settle for a boring copy.  Even the shoes are crap, and fall apart quickly.  My feet are constantly hurting from the lack of support.  I think I'm going to have to start wearing my sneakers everywhere.  Not cute.

At all times I am in fear for my life when driving my motorbike.  It's freaking dangerous and I feel like I am testing fate every time I hit those streets.  I want to walk, take a subway, or taxi and feel like I'm in a cosmopolitan city.  Perhaps I should be in one then, right?


Jon is dealing with the same stuff, except he has more options being from the U.K.  He's got to work around being with an American.  I hate the idea of holding him back, but I love that he wouldn't leave me behind.  Thanks babe!

thanks for reading.
A. Mame 


1 comment:

  1. Stick with Jon He seems great. I think you too are adorable together. Anyhow as long as you have a partner you can go anywhere and be happy!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to leave a comment!