Thursday, January 6, 2011

Rant #1

This is the first time I've ever lived in a true city in my adult life.  Sorry Phoenix, you and I both know that you're really just a bunch of suburbs all tied together with a massive freeway system.  I think I took for granted the pleasure of quiet.  Bugs chirping can get a little loud especially in the South, and in Phoenix there was always the low hum of the nearby 101 freeway.  I'm sorry, but living is Ho Chi Minh City is a huge level up in the noise factor.  Perhaps it's like this in places like NYC, but no, I've been there, it's not the same.  Flagstaff had the trains but eventually you tune those out, and they become part of the charming landscape.

Here's what you have in HCMC


First and forever foremost:  honking  It's at all times when people are driving.  All night especially, if you're close to the road.
They honk as a signal to say, "I'm here".  Sometimes so you don't get hit.
 But also to say, "I wanna go there!"
Or to say, "I'm passing you",
or to say, "Hey the light is changing in 2 seconds so start revving up!"
The best is when they are cutting across traffic, against the flow, in the middle of a giant 6 direction merging intersection...with 4 people in tow, a dog, and a refrigerator on the back.

Second:  The language - it's LOUD
Maybe I should have clued in from all the years listening to my mother rant and rave in Vietnamese, or simply how loud she sneezes, but seriously!  These people are loud!  Vietnamese is not a soft, melodic, soothing, gentle language.  It bold, sharp, tonal (obviously), rapid, and aggressive.

"If you want to be understood in Vietnamese, speak like you're angry."  I was told by Eric, the 23 year old American, that had been in HCMC for 2 years.  He was bitter, and harsh, criticizing the people without and ounce of sympathy.  At the time I thought, geez dude, if you hate it so much just leave.  He was about to, just needed to finish out his contract.  He had seen and experienced enough and didn't want to absorb any more of the culture, for fear he'd lose his last bit of civility.

Fast forward 1 and a half years, and here I am.  Quite cynical and jaded and completely over Vietnam.  I heeded some of his and many other peoples advice, making a personal retreat out of my home.  A place to go to where I can shut out most of the unfamiliar and recharge with comforts from home.  Anything for the food, to the music, podcasts, hair products and of course, Facebook.

Now I realize that many may criticize me and say, "Gee, I thought you wanted to get the EXPERIENCE of world travel and explore other cultures."  blah blah and more self righteous crap.

Um..actually no, I was unemployed, depressed, fat, and restless.  I wanted to make a drastic change, and run from my problems.  Duh!  True, I've always wanted to travel, but I typically imagined that, as an affluent woman with my husband, while we stayed in cute boutique hotels, walking hand in hand to gorgeous European museums and cafe's.

Let me make this clear:  I am NOT a backpacker!  I may have a back pack, but I travel with a suitcase, with 3 outfit changes for everyday, a blow dryer, curling and flat irons, and way too many shoes.  I currently have too many possessions in my apartment and will need to sell/give away at least half of it before I can board a plane to leave this country.

Anyhow, counting down the days till I leave.  First flight out, I'm headed to Bali, Indonesia.  Ha!

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure this is a true "rant"... seems more of an observation than anything else! I think you've simply relinquished your preconceived ideas about travel, and being foreign, and Asia in general.... all good and all healthy. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to leave a comment!